How to make a tutu.
My first attempt at an English Style Pancake Tutu.
“… a beautiful tutu which this extremely accomplished lady made herself…” Kelvedon Hatch “Village News”
Now I’m making a romantic tutu and will add photos as my work progresses. I’m playing with shapes for the decoration whilst I’m waiting to update measurements to cut out the bodice and basque. Each length of net is one inch longer as it is attached an inch higher onto the basque. Layer 3 is attached first (upside down), then layer 4, (the shortest layer) also upside down. Followed by layer 2 then layer 1 at the top of the basque. Thus the longest layer is the top layer. I’ve now marked the stitching lines on the basque ready for applying the layers of net. Before I can do anything further I need to do a preliminary fitting.
Several weeks later**, a preliminary fitting done and seams adjusted. I’ve now finished edging the basque and pinned the Petersham waistband in place. I’ve also Tea dyed the elastic but I think that the elastic is now too dark.
Well the elastic was too dark so I’ve stripped it and started again. Currently I’m working on the skirt and have added the bottom two layers of net. I deliberated long and hard about over-locking the seams and have now decided that although I have on these two layers I won’t on the top two. Ist layer added 3 more to go. A feeling of satisfaction as it’s beginning to take shape followed by a feeling of blind panic and terror when I thought I’d sewn the wrong layer on. I was imaging unpicking, then re-gathering or changing the length and having to cut an 1″ off the bottom of pieces already cut out. Checked my notes; fortunately I’d done it right.I’ve now added two photographs of the basque with net added. I’m taking my time as there is no rush and I want to make sure that it is done correctly. So glad that I waited to look at a previous one that I made as I was surprised at how I had done some things. It’s going well so far.
All four layers have now been added to the basque. It’s very puffy! I’ve made the sleeve puffs but I just couldn’t get the tension right on the rolled edge hem. That material is really difficult to work with too. (I know a bad workman always blames his tools!). I’m not sure whether to start again, but also not sure if I can face it.
25th July. I’m actually quite pleased with the way that the sleeve puffs look. I now need to fit the tutu to get the fastening right and to make sure that the fit is correct before I sew the two parts together.
It’s finished and the tutu has been handed over. I’ve not seen it on once he hooks and bars had been sewn in place, so I hope that the fit was as good as I hoped. Getting a final photograph wasn’t easy without a body inside it but I’m hoping that I’ll get one eventually.